Apr 30, 2012

Homemade Strawberry Filling

My friend's birthday was coming up. I had some white chocolate that was waiting to get used up. And I had high hopes for a twist on a strawberry shortcake. See we don't get strawberries shipped here very often and when we do, you pay a pretty penny for them. But... it was Easter... and it was a good friends birthday- so I splurged and bought the strawberries! I had it narrowed down to two cakes. And decided on the one I had never tried knowing that it would make a cuter birthday cake. I made a white chocolate cake, with a white chocolate cream frosting and strawberry filling. The cake itself was just eh- nothing to rave about. It was just a little too rich for my liking. But I did love the frosting and the strawberry filling. I normally would have used the good ol' Junket Danish Dessert for the strawberry filling. However, you can't get it here. So I searched around and found this gem- Homemade Strawberry Filling! Who knew you could whip this out without a box of Junket? Not me! But it was ridiculously easy. And the great thing is, you could use the recipe and just switch out the strawberries for any other type of fruit your heart desires... or in my case which ever fruits are in season!



Strawberry Filling
recipe courtesy Food.com


2 1/2 cups strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

Bring all ingredients to a boil in a heavy saucepan, stirring constantly and crushing berries slightly with the back of a spoon.

Boil 2 minutes to thicken, stirring constantly, mixture will be slightly chunky.

Pour into a bowl and cool completely.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment