Sep 12, 2011

My New Favorite Frosting!

I have always thought powdered sugar and frosting go hand in hand. That was until I tried this new recipe. It looked kind of wierd calling for only flour, milk, vanilla, butter and sugar - regular white sugar NOT powdered sugar. I thought it seemed interesting. And so I tried it.  

Let me tell you I have a new favorite frosting! This is hands down the best frosting I have ever had! Well I have a few favorites but this is definitely in my pool of favorite frostings! I love it! It is perfectly sweet with a silky smooth texture! It doesn't have that overly sweet taste that many frostings have that use powdered sugar. You know when trying to get your frosting to that perfect consistency and you add more and more powdered sugar only to find that by the time you add enough powdered sugar, it completely ruins the flavor because it is just too sweet? Well, problem solved! And it's whipped to perfection! This is the perfect recipe. Consistency, flavor and texture... A+! It would be a lovely accent on any cake! 

I love the site that I found it on. She goes through a complete step by step guide with pictures of how to make this magical frosting. Check it out here.


The Best Whipped Frosting
makes enough to frost a 9″ layer cake or one dozen cupcakes generously
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (not powdered sugar)
In a medium saucepan, whisk one cup of milk with 5 tablespoons of flour. Heat over medium until the mixture begins to sputter, whisking constantly. Continue to stir as the mixture thickens. You will know it’s done when it reaches the consistency of thick cake batter, after about 7 minutes of heating and whisking. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and set aside to cool COMPLETELY.
Now, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or using a hand held mixer, beat 2 sticks of softened butter (1 cup) with 1 cup of granulated sugar until light, fluffy, and white in color, about 3 solid minutes of beating on medium-high speed. You want the sugar to be totally incorporated into the butter.
Be sure that the milk/flour mixture has completely cooled, and add it to the butter/sugar mixture. Beat all ingredients for about 1 minute on high speed, scraping down the bowl halfway, until they are smooth and well blended. The frosting should be as light and fluffy as whipped cream.

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. i am going to give this a try! thanks for sharing, i pinned it too so i can have available for easy reference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! The best frosting ever.....now if only we add chocolate to this deliciousness. LETS DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried making this the other day, but gave up at the flour/milk mixture step. Now that I know that at this step it IS supposed to look a little like playdough, and that its OKAY, and its going to turn out fabulous once you move on to the next step, I'll make sure to try it again! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there suppose to be butter in it? you call for it in the directions but not in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know until recently, but this is what Allina has been using for years (regular sugar in her frostings)! I have never really liked the way powdered sugar makes things taste... thanks for solidifying that cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete